Why is my airdrop not working? How to fix on iPhone, iPad, and Mac – Business Insider
- If your AirDrop isn’t working on iPhone, iPad, or Mac, first check that Bluetooth is turned on.
- You also need to enable AirDrop by setting it to receive from everyone or your contacts.
- AirDrop has no size limit, and you can use it to send large files between Apple devices.
One of the most convenient features for Apple users is AirDrop, which lets you send media, links, and documents via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to devices within a certain range.
Most newer Apple devices already have this feature, however, it can be finicky for no particular reason.
So when AirDrop is not working properly, try these troubleshooting techniques.
Quick tip: AirDrop is compatible with any iPhone that has iOS 7 or later, iPad with iPadOS 13 or later, and Mac with OS X 10.10. Both devices must be compatible for AirDrop to work.
How to fix AirDrop not working on iPhone or iPad
To fix the AirDrop not working issue on iPhone and iPad, you first need to make sure Bluetooth is enabled on both devices. Then, you need to set AirDrop to receive either everyone or from people in your contacts lists.
1. Open the Settings app on your device.
2. Tap Bluetooth.
3. If the toggle for Bluetooth has a gray background, then Bluetooth is off. Tap the toggle to turn it on.
Tap the “Bluetooth” toggle.
Note: If you see a prompt to Allow New Connections, tap on it to allow your device to connect to new devices.
4. Tap Settings in the top left corner of the screen.
5. Tap General
6. Tap AirDrop.
7. You can then choose if you want AirDrop to be available to everyone within range or just those in your contact list. For the sake of haste, choose Everyone to see if that quickly solves the problem.
Set AirDrop to receive from everyone.
8. Make sure the device you want to AirDrop to is also enabled for Everyone. If your two devices are far apart, bring them closer in case they’re slightly out of range.
How to fix AirDrop not working on a Mac computer
You may need to change your AirDrop settings to allow your device to be discoverable.
1. Open Finder on your Mac.
2. Select AirDrop at the top of the left side menu.
Make sure you’ve selected “AirDrop” in the left side menu.
3. Select the drop-down menu next to Allow me to be discovered by and change it to Everyone.
In the drop-down, select “Everyone.”